(2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pans
all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the pans
pure vanilla extract
large eggs, at room temperature
Fresh Strawberry Filling
Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
strawberries, thinly sliced
seedless raspberry jam, warmed
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans, line the bottoms with parchment, butter again, and dust with flour, tapping out the excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until combined (do not overmix).
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes for 8-inch pans and 22 to 25 minutes for 9-inch pans. Cool the cakes in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto racks to cool completely.
- Transfer one of the cooled cakes to a plate and spread with 1 to 1½ cups of the filling. Top with the remaining cake and refrigerate to set, 30 minutes. Spread the top and sides with the frosting.
- Starting from the outside perimeter, place a ring of the sliced strawberries around the cake, points facing out. Continue layering concentric rings around the cake until you reach the center. Carefully brush with the jam.