- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can navy beans, rinsed
- 1 3-inch piece Parmesan rind (optional), plus grated Parmesan for serving
- 1/2cup small pasta shells
- 1/4 Savoy cabbage, chopped
- crusty bread, for serving
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (and their juices) and simmer until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the squash, carrots, beans, 6 cups water, and Parmesan rind, if desired, and bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Add the pasta and cabbage. Simmer until the pasta is tender.
- Serve topped with grated Parmesan and with crusty bread on the side.