- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 cups wild rice blend
- 3 to 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound mixed mushrooms (button, cremini, and shiitake), sliced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and ¾ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Proceed to cook the rice according to the package directions, replacing the water (if specified) with the equivalent amount of chicken broth.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the wine and cook, scraping up the brown bits, until evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Fluff the rice and fold in the mushrooms, chives, and remaining two tablespoons of butter.