- 3tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2cups wild rice blend
- 3 to 4cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4pound mixed mushrooms (button, cremini, and shiitake), sliced
- 1/4cup dry white wine
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and ¾ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Proceed to cook the rice according to the package directions, replacing the water (if specified) with the equivalent amount of chicken broth.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the wine and cook, scraping up the brown bits, until evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Fluff the rice and fold in the mushrooms, chives, and remaining two tablespoons of butter.