- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 small loaf whole-grain bread, sliced 1 inch thick (about 8 slices)
- 1 bunch purple grapes, clipped into 4 portions
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Heat broiler to high with the rack 6 inches from the flame. Lightly grease a baking sheet with butter.
- Beat the eggs, milk, and vanilla together in a shallow bowl. Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture, in batches, until the centers are soaked through. Let any excess egg drip off.
- Place the bread slices on the greased pan. Lay the bunches of grapes alongside them. Broil until the bread is toasted and golden, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, stir together the sugar and cinnamon. Flip the bread and broil on the other side until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Remove the bread and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Allow the grapes to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with more butter and maple syrup.