White Bean Soup With Tomato Salsa
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 cup orzo
- 4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 small red onions, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- juice of 2 lemons
- crusty bread (optional)
- Cook the orzo according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the tomatoes, red pepper, 1 onion, basil, Feta, 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, chili flakes, and remaining onion. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the beans, 3 cups broth, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Transfer the bean mixture to a food processor or blender. Pulse until combined but still slightly chunky. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Return the bean mixture to a saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining cup broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in orzo. Ladle soup into bowls and spoon salsa on top. Serve with bread (if desired).
- Per Serving
- Calories 472Calories From Fat 127
- Fat 14g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 13mg
- Sodium 791mg
- Protein 19g
- Carbohydrate 69g
- Sugar 11g
- Fiber 10g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 129mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .