White Bean Chili With Jalapeño Bulgur
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add the bulgur and simmer, covered, until all the water is absorbed and the bulgur is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their liquid and 1 ½ cups water. Bring to a boil. Add the beans and simmer until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir the lemon juice, scallions, jalapeño, remaining tablespoon of oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper into the bulgur.
- Divide the chili among bowls and top with the bulgur.
- Per Serving
- Calories 269
- Fat 8g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 1,026mg
- Protein 9g
- Carbohydrate 41g
- Fiber 11g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .