- 1 cup wheat berries
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine the wheat berries, 4 quarts water, and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Cook until tender but still slightly chewy, 50 to 60 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350° F. Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and bake, tossing occasionally, until fragrant and toasted, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool, then roughly chop.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. When cool, crumble and add to the wheat berries, along with the pecans, cherries, parsley, shallots, oil, lemon juice, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stir gently to combine.