medium leeks (white and light green parts)
Yukon gold potatoes (peeled, if desired), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
dry white wine
low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
kosher salt and black pepper
bunches watercress, leaves only
biscuits (store-bought or homemade)
thinly sliced ham
- Slice each leek in half lengthwise, and each half into ½-inch-thick half-moons. Place in a large bowl of cold water and swish. Drain and pat dry.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, wine, and broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and the watercress. Stir until the watercress wilts.
- Meanwhile, slice the biscuits in half. Place the ham on the bottoms and sandwich with the tops. Ladle the soup into bowls. Serve with the ham biscuits.