Watercress, Beet, and Fennel Salad
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 pound beets (about 2 1/2 large), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (such as chives, parsley, and dill)
- 1 bunch watercress (6 cups)
- 1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced, plus 1/4 cup chopped fennel fronds
- Heat oven to 400° F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the beets with the oil; season with ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Roast until tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, herbs, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Add the watercress, fennel, and beets and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the fennel fronds.
- Per Serving
- Calories 208
- Fat 16g
- Sat Fat 2.5g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 646mg
- Protein 4g
- Carbohydrate 13g
- Sugar 6g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 126mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
To prep the fennel for slicing, trim the bottom and remove the tough outer layers of the bulb.