- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 3 strips bacon
- 1 small head red cabbage (1 pound), shredded
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch frisee or chicory, torn into bite-size pieces (3 cups)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of the oil. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, lightly toast the walnuts over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add the bacon and cook until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan. Add the remaining olive oil and the cabbage and toss to coat well. Add 1/4 cup water, the lemon juice, salt, and pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and add to the vinaigrette. Add the frisee, walnuts, and bacon (broken into pieces) and toss well.