- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted; plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups walnuts, chopped
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 350º F. Butter two 1 1/2-quart loaf pans. In a small bowl, combine half the sugar, the melted butter, and 2 1/2 cups of the walnuts to make the topping. Divide the mixture evenly between the pans, covering the bottoms evenly.
- To make the filling, cream the remaining sugar and the softened butter in a medium bowl. Stir in the flour and the remaining walnuts. Set the mixture aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, and oil, along with the amount of water called for by the package directions. Beat until well combined. Pour 1/4 of the batter into each pan, over the topping. Spoon the filling mixture evenly over the cake batter, dividing it between the 2 pans. Add the remaining batter, dividing it evenly between the loaf pans.
- Place the loaves in oven and bake until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, then unmold bottom-side up onto a cake plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: This recipe can also be made as a bundt cake.
This recipe makes 2 loaves.