Vietnamese Steak Sandwich
Serves 2| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 teaspoon Thai-style chili sauce (also called sriracha, found in the international aisle of most supermarkets)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce (also found in the international aisle)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 6-ounce piece of top round steak, about 1 inch thick
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar (also found in the international aisle)
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 6-ounce (8-inch) baguette, sliced horizontally
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium. In a shallow bowl, combine the chili sauce, sugar, fish sauce, and garlic. Add the steak and turn it to coat.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the vinegar to a boil. Remove from heat and toss in the radishes, carrot, and bell pepper.
- Grill the steak to the desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Grill the bread, cut-side down, until slightly charred, about 1 minute.
- Cut the baguette crosswise in half and spread with the mayonnaise. Form 2 sandwiches with the steak, vegetables, and cilantro.
- Per Serving
- Calories 646Calories From Fat 267
- Fat 30g
- Sat Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 46mg
- Sodium 1,856mg
- Protein 31g
- Carbohydrate 63g
- Sugar 13g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 67mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .