Vegetarian Chili With Chocolate
Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice, or one 16-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 15-ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- In a stockpot, over medium heat, cook the oil, garlic, onion, and green pepper until slightly softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, kidney beans, vegetable broth, cumin, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Before serving, stir in the chocolate until melted.
- Per Serving
- Calories 263
- Calcium 83mg
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Fat 6g
- Fiber 10g
- Iron 3mg
- Protein 12mg
- Sat Fat 1g
- Sodium 3139mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .