- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice, or one 16-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 15-ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 5cups vegetable broth
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2ounces bittersweet chocolate
- In a stockpot, over medium heat, cook the oil, garlic, onion, and green pepper until slightly softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, kidney beans, vegetable broth, cumin, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Before serving, stir in the chocolate until melted.