Roasted Vegetable Soup With Chicken Melts
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- Leftovers from Roasted Chicken and Vegetables With Maple-Mustard Sauce:
- 5 cups roasted vegetables
- 1/4 cup maple-mustard sauce
- 1 roasted chicken, meat shredded
- Additional ingredients:
- 5 to 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 6 slices country bread
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- In a large saucepan, combine the roasted vegetables, 5 cups of chicken broth, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are very soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the orange juice.
- Working in batches, transfer the vegetable mixture to a blender and puree until smooth, adding more broth if necessary to reach the desired consistency. (Alternatively, use a handheld immersion blender in the saucepan.)
- Meanwhile, heat broiler. Place the bread on a baking sheet and, dividing evenly, spread with the maple-mustard sauce. Top with the chicken, onion, and cheese and broil until the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes. Top with the arugula and serve with the soup, sprinkled with the dill.
- Per Serving
- Calories 663
- Fat 30g
- Sat Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 129mg
- Sodium 1,189mg
- Protein 47g
- Carbohydrate 49g
- Sugar 15g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 328mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
This vegetable soup is delicious with a number of seasoning combinations. Try adding a teaspoon of curry powder, then topping the soup with yogurt and cilantro. Or add a teaspoon of ground cumin and top the soup with cut-up avocado and crushed tortilla chips.