Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 large carrots, diagonally sliced into 2-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- Combine all the ingredients except the zucchini and chickpeas in a heavy, covered saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and beans during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Per Serving
- Calories 136
- Calcium 96mg
- Carbohydrate 28g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Fat 1g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 1mg
- Protein 5mg
- Sat Fat 0g
- Sodium 1332mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
If pressed for time, use packages of presliced vegetables found at most supermarkets.