Vegetable Soup With Parmesan Toasts
Serves 6 to 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 bunches green Swiss chard, stems trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small butternut squash (2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 12 to 16 1/2-inch-thick slices baguette
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Parmesan
- Heat oven to 350° F. Rinse and drain the Swiss chard. Stack the leaves and slice them crosswise into 1-inch-wide strips.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the Swiss chard and squash; stir to coat.
- Add the wine, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush the baguette slices with the remaining oil. Place on foil, sprinkle with the Parmesan, and bake until golden, 15 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and float the toasts on top.
- Per Serving
- Calories 483Calories From Fat 174
- Fat 20g
- Sat Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 20mg
- Sodium 1,711mg
- Protein 23g
- Carbohydrate 54g
- Sugar 8g
- Fiber 10g
- Iron 7mg
- Calcium 613mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months. The toasts can be stored in a resealable plastic bag for up to 3 days.