Vegetable Chili With Polenta
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 15.5-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5-ounce can cannellini or great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- green chili or jalapeño salsa, optional
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, and cumin and sauté until onions are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer, partially cover with a lid, and cook 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and return to a simmer. Continue cooking, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the chili is thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare the polenta according to the package directions; stir in the butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the polenta between 4 bowls. Ladle the chili over the top. Spoon a little salsa on top, if desired.
- Per Serving
- Calories 468
- Calcium 190mg
- Carbohydrate 72g
- Cholesterol 8mg
- Fat 15g
- Fiber 14g
- Iron 6mg
- Protein 17mg
- Sat Fat 3g
- Sodium 770mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .