large onion, finely chopped
garlic cloves, minced
14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
15.5-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
15.5-ounce can cannellini or great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
red wine vinegar
kosher salt and black pepper
green chili or jalapeño salsa, optional
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, and cumin and sauté until onions are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer, partially cover with a lid, and cook 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and return to a simmer. Continue cooking, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the chili is thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare the polenta according to the package directions; stir in the butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the polenta between 4 bowls. Ladle the chili over the top. Spoon a little salsa on top, if desired.