Vegetable Barley Soup
Makes 8 quarts, serves 16| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 1/2 cups barley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 carrots, diced
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 4 large onions, diced
- 4 parsnips, diced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 102-ounce can diced tomatoes (or four 28-ounce cans)
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems discarded and leaves chopped (about 8 cups)
- 2 15.5-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- Cook the barley according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the carrots, celery, onions, parsnips, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (and their juices) and 8 cups water. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the soup has slightly thickened and the vegetables are tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Add the kale and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it is tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and cooked barley and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Per Serving
- Calories 228
- Fat 5g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 461mg
- Protein 7g
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Fiber 11g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
To freeze: Cool the soup to room temperature and divide among freezer containers or bags (figure on 2 cups per serving). Freeze for up to 3 months.To cook: Thaw the soup in a bowl of cold water or overnight in the refrigerator. Transfer to a pot and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 10 to 20 minutes.