- FOR THE PUDDING:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 2/3 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- FOR THE ORANGE:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 orange
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Make the pudding. Whisk together 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk in 2 2/3 cups whole milk and 3 egg yolks. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla. Transfer to a metal bowl, place waxed paper directly on the surface, and chill until cooled, about 1 hour.
- Prepare the orange. In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter and sugar. Cook until golden. Peel and slice 1 orange; add to the skillet and toss.
- Spoon the fruit over small bowls of the cooled pudding and serve.