Tuscan Pot Roast
Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 2 1/2- to 3-pound bottom-round pot roast
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/2-ounce package dried mushrooms (such as portobello)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes, chopped, liquid reserved
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the roast on all sides. Transfer the roast to a heavy casserole.
- To the fat remaining in the skillet, add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir to coat the vegetables; transfer to the casserole. Pour the wine into the skillet and scrape up any browned bits; add the contents of the skillet to the casserole, along with the mushrooms, salt, oregano, and tomatoes (plus 1 cup of their liquid).
- Cover the casserole and cook in a 300° F oven for 3 hours or until the meat is very tender, adding more of the tomato liquid if necessary.
- Per Serving
- Calories 445
- Calcium 83mg
- Carbohydrate 18g
- Cholesterol 112mg
- Fat 21g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 6mg
- Protein 41mg
- Sat Fat 5g
- Sodium 1232mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .