grape tomatoes, halved
pinch of allspice
pinch of cinnamon
kosher salt and black pepper
vegetable oil for grill
ground turkey (dark meat or 93 percent lean or less)
grated Gruyère or Swiss cheese (3 ounces)
cloves garlic, finely chopped
squares of focaccia, split
- In a small saucepan, combine the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, allspice, cinnamon, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside. (The chutney can be served warm or at room temperature.)
- Heat grill to medium-high; oil the grate. In a medium bowl, combine the turkey, Gruyère, and garlic. (Do not overwork the meat.)
- Form the mixture into four ¾-inch-thick patties. Make a shallow well in the top of each (to prevent overplumping while cooking). Season with the chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Grill the patties, turning once (do not press or flatten), until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 160° F, 6 to 8 minutes per side.
- Serve the burgers on the focaccia, topped with the chutney.