Turkey Burgers With Cajun Grilled Onions
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey (dark meat or 93 percent lean or less)
- 3/4 cup grated Gruyère or Swiss cheese (3 ounces)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Cajun or blackening spice mix
- 4 hamburger buns
- Heat grill to medium-high. In a medium bowl, combine the turkey, Gruyère, and garlic. (Do not overwork the meat.)
- Form the mixture into four ¾-inch-thick patties and season with the chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Grill the patties, turning once (do not press), until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 160° F, 6 to 8 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of the onion rounds with oil and sprinkle with Cajun mix. Grill until blackened and tender, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Place the burgers on the buns and top with the onions.
- Per Serving
- Calories 440Calories From Fat 191
- Fat 21g
- Sat Fat 8g
- Cholesterol 104mg
- Sodium 633mg
- Protein 39g
- Carbohydrate 25g
- Sugar 5g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 277mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Make it a meal: Serve with potato salad. Cook 1 pound baby potatoes until tender, run under cold water to cool, and quarter; toss with sour cream, lemon juice, thinly sliced celery, chopped chives, salt, and pepper.