- 1 1/4pounds ground turkey (dark meat or 93 percent lean or less)
- 3/4cup grated Gruyère or Swiss cheese (3 ounces)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 2teaspoons Cajun or blackening spice mix
- 4 hamburger buns
- Heat grill to medium-high. In a medium bowl, combine the turkey, Gruyère, and garlic. (Do not overwork the meat.)
- Form the mixture into four ¾-inch-thick patties and season with the chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Grill the patties, turning once (do not press), until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 160° F, 6 to 8 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of the onion rounds with oil and sprinkle with Cajun mix. Grill until blackened and tender, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Place the burgers on the buns and top with the onions.