green bell pepper, chopped
cloves garlic, chopped
ground turkey (preferably dark meat)
ground chipotle chili pepper or 2 teaspoons chili powder
28-ounce can diced tomatoes
15-ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed
kosher salt and black pepper
reduced-fat sour cream
cilantro sprigs, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the turkey and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, and chili pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, beans, ½ cup water, 1 ¼ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve the chili with the sour cream and cilantro.