bunch radishes, thinly sliced
scallions (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced on the diagonal
fresh cilantro leaves
toasted sesame oil
kosher salt and black pepper
whole coriander seeds
whole black peppercorns
6-ounce tuna steaks (about 3/4 inch thick)
- Working over a medium bowl, use a vegetable peeler to create long, thin strips of cucumber.
- Add the radishes, scallions, cilantro, vinegar, sesame oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper and toss. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat the canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Using the flat of a knife or the bottom of a pan, crush the coriander seeds and peppercorns.
- Sprinkle 1 ¼ teaspoons salt over the tuna and press the crushed spices onto each side.
- Cook the tuna, turning once, until it reaches desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Divide the tuna among individual plates and serve with the slaw.