- 1 medium red onion
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds cod fillet
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup finely crushed tortilla chips (from 3 cups chips)
- 2 oranges, peeled and thinly sliced into circles
- Heat oven to 350° F. Finely chop enough onion to measure 3/4 cup and enough cilantro stems to measure 1 tablespoon (reserving the leaves). Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cilantro stems, and jalapeño and cook until softened, 4 minutes.
- Pulse the cod, egg, salt, pepper, and the onion mixture in a food processor until combined but not pureed. Form 8 cod cakes. Coat each cake with the chips.
- Wipe out skillet. Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil over medium heat. Add 4 cakes and cook until golden brown, 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a baking sheet. Wipe out skillet and repeat with 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil and the last 4 cakes.
- Bake until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Thinly slice the remaining onion. Toss with the oranges, 1/2 cup of the cilantro leaves, and the remaining oil. Serve with the cakes.