Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 carrots, cut into thin rounds
- 1/2 bunch Swiss chard, cut crosswise into 1-inch strips
- 1 8- to 9-ounce package tortellini, preferably vegetable
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmesan
- Remove the skin from the chicken and place the pieces in a large saucepan. Add the broth and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes. Skim any foam that rises to the surface. Transfer the chicken to a plate; let cool. Shred the meat; discard the bones.
- Meanwhile, strain the broth and return it to the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add the carrots, Swiss chard, tortellini, salt, and pepper. Simmer according to the tortellini's package directions.
- When the tortellini is done, add the chicken and heat for 3 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Per Serving
- Calories 570Calories From Fat 25%
- Protein 64g
- Carbohydrate 42g
- Fat 16g
- Sat Fat 6g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 3g
- Cholesterol 169mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .