Tortellini With Eggplant and Peppers
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 pound cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the eggplant, bell peppers, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the broth and tortellini. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the tortellini are cooked through and most of the broth is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and ¼ cup of the Parmesan. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of Parmesan.
- Per Serving
- Calories 545
- Fat 20g
- Sat Fat 8g
- Cholesterol 62mg
- Sodium 998mg
- Protein 27g
- Carbohydrate 67g
- Fiber 9g
- Sugar 7g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
An eggplant should feel heavy for its size and is tastiest at less than 1 ½ pounds. Look for smooth, shiny dark purple skin and a green stem with leaves clinging to the top.