- 1 small butternut squash (2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2pound button or cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and halved if large
- 1/4cup fresh sage leaves
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1pound fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- 2ounces fontina or Gruyère, grated (1/2 cup), plus more for serving
- Heat oven to 450° F. On 2 rimmed baking sheets, toss the squash and mushrooms with the sage, oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Roast, tossing once and rotating pans halfway through, until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the tortellini according to the package directions. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water; drain the tortellini and return to the pot. Add the vegetables, fontina, ¼ cup of the cooking water, and ½ teaspoon salt and toss gently to coat (add more cooking water if the pasta seems dry). Sprinkle with additional fontina.