Tomato Soup With Roast Beef, Cheddar, and Horseradish Panini
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the grill pan
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 8 ounces thinly sliced roast beef
- 8 ounces sharp white Cheddar, sliced
- 2 cups baby arugula (1 1/2 ounces)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes (with their juices), broth, thyme, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Working in batches, in a blender, puree the mixture until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and horseradish. Form sandwiches with the bread, roast beef, Cheddar, arugula, and half the horseradish mixture. Heat a lightly oiled grill pan over medium heat and cook the sandwiches until the cheese is melted, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Top the soup with the remaining horseradish mixture and serve with the sandwiches.
- Per Serving
- Calories 666
- Fat 36g
- Sat Fat 18g
- Cholesterol 117mg
- Sodium 1,746mg
- Protein 37g
- Carbohydrate 49g
- Sugar 14g
- Fiber 5g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 573mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
To avoid an overflow of hot soup in the blender, remove the center of the blender cap and cover the hole with a kitchen towel. Let the mixture cool slightly before pureeing in batches.