Tomato Salad With Pickled Onion
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus the finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- 4 large tomatoes (about 2 1⁄2 pounds), sliced
- In a medium bowl, toss the onion with the lime juice, oil, and ½ teaspoon salt. Let stand, tossing occasionally, until the onion has softened, at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a platter and season with ½ teaspoon salt. Top with the onion and sprinkle with the lime zest.
- Per Serving
- Calories 69
- Fat 5g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 245mg
- Protein 1g
- Carbohydrate 5g
- Sugar 3g
- Fiber 1g
- Iron 0mg
- Calcium 14mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Almost any variety of large tomato will work in this recipe. If you have access to a farmers’ market in the summer, try a colorful selection of heirloom and beefsteak tomatoes.