Toasted-Coconut Refrigerator Cake
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 cup heavy (or whipping) cream, whipped to a soft peak
- 2 pound cakes (such as Sara Lee), about 11 ounces each
- 2 cups Vanilla Pudding
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and toast in oven until golden, about 10 minutes, shaking the tray once about halfway through the cooking time. Remove and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, gently fold together the whipped cream and pudding. Slice each cake vertically in half, then slice each half horizontally into three ½-inch layers.
- Line an 8-by-8-inch square pan with 4 slices of cake to make 1 layer. Top with about 1 cup of the pudding mixture, spreading to cover the cake. Repeat the process to form 3 layers, ending with the pudding mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Garnish with the toasted coconut and serve.