- 2teaspoons canola oil
- 1pound ground pork
- 5tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 3teaspoons sugar
- 1/2cup fresh lime juice
- 1 to 2 jalapeño or serrano chili peppers, seeded if desired and thinly sliced
- 2 small heads Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups)
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely grated
- 1cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4cup salted, roasted peanuts, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup water, 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce, and 1 teaspoon of the sugar and cook, stirring, until the liquid is almost evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes more.
- Stir together the lime juice, jalapeño peppers, and the remaining 4 tablespoons of fish sauce and 2 teaspoons of sugar in a small bowl.
- Divide the lettuce among bowls, top with the pork mixture, shallot, carrots, mint, and peanuts, and drizzle with the lime dressing.