- 2tablespoons canola oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh ginger (from a 1-inch piece)
- 1pound ground pork
- 1/2pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- 4cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce
- 4ounces wonton wrappers (about 10), sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 2tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- sliced red chili peppers and cilantro leaves, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the pork and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add the broth, fish sauce, and 2 cups water to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the wonton wrappers, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Serve with the scallion greens, chili peppers, cilantro, and lime wedges.