- 2 pounds Kirby cucumbers, shredded
- 1/2 small onion, shredded
- kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Combine the cucumbers, onion, and 2 tablespoons salt in a colander. Let sit for 30 minutes. Transfer to a dish towel and squeeze to remove as much water as possible.
- Combine the cucumber mixture, vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seed, and turmeric in a medium pot. Simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the cucumber is softened slightly, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours and up to 5 days.