- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped with seeds
- 2teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 2tablespoons chili powder
- 2tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2pounds meat-loaf mix (1 pound lean ground beef, 1/2 pound ground pork, 1/2 pound ground veal or lamb)
- 2 15-ounce cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 14 1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2cups shredded Cheddar
- 2 8 1/2-ounce corn-bread mixes (may require 1 egg and 1 1/3 cup milk per package)
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a medium skillet, over medium heat, heat the oil with the onion, celery, garlic, and jalapeño and cook until the vegetables are tender but not browned, about 10 minutes. Add the salt, cumin, chili powder, cocoa, and cinnamon. Add the meat and cook until well browned. Stir in the beans and tomatoes.
- Lightly coat a 13-by-9-inch casserole or baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Spoon the beef and beans into the casserole. Top with Cheddar. Heat oven to 375° F.
- Prepare two 8 1/2-ounce corn-bread mixes according to the label directions; pour the batter over the cheese. Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.