- 4 large sweet potatoes or yams, scrubbed
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup pecan pieces (optional)
- Heat oven to 375° F. Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork all over, about six times. Place them on a baking sheet lined with foil and bake until very tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and, with a knife, make crosshatch marks, cutting into the potatoes about halfway through. Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, and pecans (if using). Spoon the mixture onto the 8 sweet-potato halves. Heat in oven until the potatoes are hot and the sugar and nuts are browned, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot or warm.