large onion, finely chopped
kosher salt and black pepper
sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
dry white wine
grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
chopped fresh oregano
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring frequently, until absorbed.
- Measure 3½ cups of water. Add ¾ cup at a time and cook, stirring occasionally and waiting until each addition is absorbed before adding the next. It should take 25 to 30 minutes for all the water to be absorbed.
- Stir in the Parmesan and oregano.