- 5 pounds sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Pierce the sweet potatoes several times with a fork and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until softened, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on size; let cool.
- Slice each sweet potato in half lengthwise. Scoop the flesh into a saucepan and discard the skins. Add the maple syrup (to taste), butter, and sour cream. Using a wooden spoon or potato masher, mix until smooth. Season with the salt and nutmeg. Place over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, about 5 minutes