- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 6tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish and foil
- 1 large loaf Italian bread (about 1 pound), cut into 3⁄4-inch pieces (about 16 cups)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1/2cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2cup pepitas (roasted and hulled pumpkin seeds)
- 3tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- Heat oven to 375° F. On a baking sheet, toss the sweet potatoes with the oil; season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Roast until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Divide the bread between 2 rimmed baking sheets and bake until dry and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender and beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the wine and cook until evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes; transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the bread, broth, eggs, sweet potatoes, pepitas, sage, and ½ teaspoon salt to the vegetables and toss to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Cover with buttered foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned, 20 to 30 minutes more.