Sweet Potato Chowder
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/2 sweet green pepper, diced
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 13-ounce cans chicken broth
- 3 canned chipotle chilies, finely chopped
- 2 14-ounce cans corn
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- kosher salt
- Cook the bacon in a large stockpot over medium heat until it begins to crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Spoon off all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- Add the peppers and onion to the bacon and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, chicken broth, and chipotles and simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the corn, milk, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until heated through.
- Per Serving
- Calories 383
- Calcium 141mg
- Carbohydrate 59g
- Cholesterol 24mg
- Fat 11g
- Fiber 8g
- Iron 3mg
- Protein 19mg
- Sat Fat 3g
- Sodium 1594mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.