- 3pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- kosher salt
- 1cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2cup chopped pecans
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1/3cup whole milk
- 1/2cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and add 2 teaspoons salt. Reduce heat and simmer until very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 325° F. In a small bowl, combine the coconut, brown sugar, pecans, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Add the granulated sugar, milk, butter, eggs, vanilla, and ½ teaspoon salt to the potatoes and mash until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch square or another shallow 2-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the coconut mixture. Bake until heated through (tent loosely with foil if the top browns too quickly), 30 to 35 minutes.