Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 small leek (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups corn kernels (from 4 ears, fresh or frozen)
- pinch ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, over medium-low heat, fry the bacon until browned but not crisp, about 5 minutes. Spoon off and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Add the leek, thyme leaves, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the milk and potatoes. Simmer gently until the potatoes are almost tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the corn and cook for 5 minutes. Add the nutmeg and ladle into bowls.
- Per Serving
- Calories 348Calories From Fat 36%
- Fat 14g
- Sat Fat 6g
- Sodium 718mg
- Cholesterol 34mg
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 16g
- Protein 16g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Break each ear of uncooked sweet corn in half, then stand each half on end in a baking dish or large bowl. With a paring knife, slice downward to remove the kernels from the cob. Transfer the kernels to a container or resealable plastic bag and freeze for up to 3 months.