- 8 baking apples (such as Cortland, Empire, Gala, Braeburn, or Pippin)
- 1/2 cup chopped candied or plain nuts
- 1/3 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Heat oven to 400° F. Remove and discard the cores from the apples. Place the apples in a 9- by-13-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the nuts, sugar, and butter. Divide the mixture among the apples. (You can cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Bake until tender, about 25 minutes. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.