- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped, plus more for serving
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2pounds ground beef
- 1/4cup tomato paste
- 2tablespoons chili powder
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 15.5-ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed
- cut-up avocado and sour cream, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, garlic, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the beef, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, breaking up the beef with a spoon, until no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, and cumin and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (with their juices), beans, ½ cup water, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with the avocado, onion, and sour cream.