- 2 large yellow squash, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the squash and onion in a large saucepan in enough water to cover them. Cook over medium-high heat, covered, until the squash are tender, about 15 minutes. Strain well and mash slightly with a potato masher or large fork.
- Add the goat cheese and butter while still hot and stir until melted. Mix in the cornmeal, eggs, milk, dill, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour into an 8-by-8-inch baking dish or 6 individual ramekins that have been coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400°F for 40 minutes (35 minutes for the ramekins) or until golden brown on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.