- 4 cups (about 12 ounces) sugar snap peas
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- pinch of kosher salt
- pinch of sugar
- 1 clove garlic, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 2-inch strip lemon zest, cut into thin slivers
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 2- to 3-ounce chunk Parmigiano-Reggiano
- With a chef's knife, cut the snap peas on an extreme diagonal into thirds or halves, discarding any tough stem ends. Place in a plastic bag and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Up to 15 minutes before serving, dress the snap peas: Combine the lemon juice, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Spear both garlic halves with a dinner fork. Using this as a whisk, drizzle the oil into the lemon mixture. Add the snap peas and zest and toss to coat. Season with the pepper.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the Parmigiano into paper-thin strips. Scatter over the snap peas and toss gently before serving.