- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 1¼ pounds strawberries, trimmed and chopped, divided
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 30 vanilla cookies, such as Nilla wafers
- Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise using a sharp paring knife. Run the dull side of the knife down the length of each half, scraping the seeds into a small saucepan. Add 1 lb. of the strawberries and ¼ cup sugar and cook over medium heat, pressing the fruit with the back of a spoon and stirring often, until the mixture is syrupy and the fruit has broken down, about 10 minutes. Let the mixture cool completely.
- Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving a two-inch overhang on all sides. Using an electric mixer, whip the cream until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the strawberry mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the condensed milk and salt. Fold in the whipped cream.
- Add ⅓ of the strawberry mixture (about 1½ cups) to the loaf pan, then top with half of the cookies. Repeat process and top with remaining strawberry mixture.
- Wrap pan with plastic and freeze until firm, at least 8 hours.
- Combine remaining ¼ lb. strawberries and 1 teaspoon sugar in a small bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes, until berries are syrupy and have released their juices.
- Remove pan from freezer and let stand a few minutes at room temperature before slicing. Serve topped with berries and their juices.